We advise clients in relation to a full range of legal issues including but not limited to the following:
• Energy Laws, Policies, Rules and Regulations (including bi-national agreements such as the Mozambique and Namibia Gas Pipeline agreements);
• Restructuring and deregulation;
• Planning, development, environmental and regulatory;
• Acquisitions and disposals of assets and entities;
• Operating and maintenance agreements;
• Engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) agreements;
• Connection and transmission agreements;
• Use of systems agreements and fuel supply agreements;
• Structuring complex joint ventures and project entities;
• Procurement, competition law, employment law, property/real estate law, social investment policies, black economic empowerment, governing law, dispute resolution and health and safety.
We provide truly commercial and balanced energy law advice which takes into account, among others, the following stakeholders and/or interested parties:
• Shareholders and Staff;
• Government (e.g. the Department of Energy, PetroSA, Petroleum Agency SA, iGas, etc.);
• Regulators (e.g. National Energy Regulator of South Africa and the Competition Authorities);
• Energy related associations (e.g. SABITA, SAPGA, SAPIA, etc.);
• Customers and Suppliers;
• Banks and Other Financial Organisations; and
• Trade Unions and Other Pressure Groups.
While in Europe (Ireland), Khumisi William Kganare worked with Partner and Head of the Renewables Business Unit at Beauchamps Solicitors, www.beauchamps.ie, on a commercial transaction leading to the sale of shares in some energy company.
Our energy sector expertise is located across the many practice areas of K&K allowing a seamless service to clients. In other words, our understanding of commercial law particularly competition law (including regulatory issues), commercial litigation and intellectual property law, enables our team to render seamless, sophisticated and forward thinking advice to our energy clients.
Our team is also able to leverage the most beneficial commercial outcomes for clients in this regard, in an informal and less bureaucratic manner as a direct result of our expertise and effective communication with the relevant stakeholders such as the National Energy Regulator of South Africa (NERSA), Competition Authorities and The Department of Energy (DoE).
Our energy law department focuses on all legal, policy, regulatory, economic and business matters of the energy industry (including other subjects in the energy industry such as emerging issues and/or stakeholder developments affecting the energy industry).
We combine a detailed legal knowledge of the energy sector and commercial awareness of the industry in general. We constantly renew our knowledge to ensure our expertise remains unrivalled within the legal fraternity and that we are best placed to support our clients’ needs in every way possible.